Sunday, April 6, 2008

Respone to Locked Out

In response to Sara's Blog: Locked Out, find at http://saraswritingblog.blogspot.com/

After reading her article I feel her pain. First of all I use to suffer from asthma as a child and there was nothing more frightening then having your breathe instantly taken away from you. You can't communicate to people what's wrong or anything, all you can do is make hand gestures and struggle to breathe. I'm lucky and was able to grow out my child asthma but I still have the respect for the people that still suffer from it. I could not imagine having to walk to the health center then explaining whats wrong with me through a glass door barricade. I have dealt with the system from the first hand experience. Me and my buddies got in a fight one night off campus and after we came back to the dorms we thought my friend could have broken his nose and wanted to get it checked out. We took the long, lengthy hike from the towers to the health center to be stuck outside, just as Sarah described, explaining to the lady through the door to let us in to seek immediate medical attention. We finally got in and the service was too relaxed, there were only 2 or 3 people working and they were not in any hurry to service one guy fast medical attention, when he was the only one needing help. After a half an hour the lady working determined that we should go to the hospital. I think an adequate doctor or nurse should be able to determine if someones nose is knocked off the cervix easily. How could it take her 30 mintues to look at his nose? We eventually found our own ride to the hospital and everything was taken care of, but it was mildly ridiculous. Something needs to be changed about this flawed Ithaca College policy.

No comments: