Sunday, April 6, 2008

Evaluation: Counting Crows

As some of you may now Counting Crows came out with a new CD about a week ago. The name of the cd is Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings. My first impression of the CD was the single they released, called You Can't Count On Me. At first I was not a fan! I've enjoyed all sorts of Counting Crows from the past and was pumped for the new album. This single gave me false hope of what the CD's quality was. However, I still ended up getting the CD. My first full run through of the CD was at 6am this morning (4/6). I thought it started to fast paced than what the Counting Crows should be playing at. It was too loud, too fast, too many instruments, and too high paced of lyrics being spoke. It could be that I was half awake, half asleep but as I listened to the rest of the CD I really begin to enjoy it. The second song was Hanging Tree, one of my favorite lines is... "This dizzy life of mine keeps hanging me up all the time This dizzy life is just a hanging tree"(A Z Lyrics). It is a Counting Crow line at it's best. The second song on this CD secured my thoughts that the Counting Crows were not changing their image and trying to fit the mold of a rock band but staying comfortable alternative music that is known for it's smooth rythym with meaningful lyrics. My false hope of their first bad single, is now overturned because yet it's not my favorite song on the album it's allowable. The songs that have not been released as singles are the true Counting Crows CD. Overall, I think this album is another triumph for the Counting Crows and the box office and billboards should prove to think so, as I expect good results and wait in anticipation for another great CD.

No comments: