Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Response: Registering For Classes 2008

In response to Registering For Classes 2008 found at http://jordanraeberry.blogspot.com/

I agree with Jordan! The homerconnect network is a terrible network. Whether it is based from Ithaca or another location, the servers are not adequate enough to handle the load of people registering for classes. I know for the first semester I had no problem but that was because it was broken down by orientation sessions. I was in the second session of six and it was relatively easy to get the classes I needed. However, I first encountered a problem with homerconnect when I logged on, or attempted, to select housing for 2008-2009. My computer loaded the web page amazingly slow. My roommate tried to do the same but his wouldn't even load. Luckily mine loaded eventually and I got the housing that I wanted but it was only because I set my standards low, and chose the towers residence hall compared to the terraces. I felt that the servers at homerconnect are not capable of handling the load of users that Ithaca College presents. When anywhere from 2-6 thousand people try to log onto a server, there will always be trouble but everyone had trouble. It was considered a housing fiasco for this year. Some kids where not able to log on and others where not able to get the housing halls that they wished to get. Today the seniors registered I know some people that logged on at 7am when it opened and they were not able to log on until 25 minutes later. That's ridiculous! How is it a tuition of this sort of standing and financial ability can have these sort of problems with technology? Something needs to be done. I think the homerconnect network should get new servers, with more capabilities to handle more people, otherwise this problem will continue.

No comments: